General Education Assessment
Mission: The General Education Task Force Provides Opportunities for Student Learning, Personal Growth, Professional Success, and Community Enhancement by creating a comprehensive General Education program that responds to the changing educational and intellectual realities of an increasingly global world.
More specifically, the Task Force:
- defines the role of a new General Education program within the mission, vision, values, and goals of Murray State College
- takes a holistic view of the General Education Program, focusing on its underlying philosophy, intellectual purposes, and educational mission
- evaluates the General Education Goals and make suggestions for curricular, co-curricular changes in order to help meet course, program, and institutional goals.
- evaluates assessment results as they apply to general education
- identifies measurements and assistant faculty and staff with measuring and reporting assessment of student learning in general education
- ensures the general education curriculum encompasses all seven of the institution’s General Education Goals.
Murray State College
General Education Goals
1. Effective Communication - MSC provides students with the educational opportunities necessary to develop effective communication skills essential for daily interaction in society and the workplace.
2. Responsible Citizenship - MSC provides an educational environment in which students demonstrate an awareness of social and civic responsibilities.
3. Global Awareness - MSC provides students with educational opportunities to learn about cultural diversity and global awareness through curricular and extracurricular activities including lectures, music, literature, film, and art.
4. Critical Thinking - MSC provides educational opportunities in which students demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking skills necessary for personal and professional success.
5. Quantitative Reasoning - MSC provides educational opportunities for students to collect and use quantitative data, create and examine quantitative models, apply mathematical skills and solve scientific problems.
6. Information & Technology Literacy - MSC provides students with educational opportunities necessary to demonstrate and apply information literacy skills and utilize technological resources necessary for personal and professional success.
7. Health and Wellness - MSC provides students with educational opportunities which will encourage self-management skills, foster a healthy lifestyle, and provide personal enrichment.